DIY Driveway

DIY Driveway

Driveway Millings

Driveway Millings

What Are Driveway Millings?

In the simplest terms, driveway millings are recycled asphalt. Whenever you see a construction crew digging up an old asphalt sidewalk or road, they are probably going to reuse it.

Driveway MillingsDisposing of asphalt can be a real hassle. It take up a lot of room and its not an environmentally friendly product. Companies, rather than dispose of old asphalt, are always looking innovative ways to reuse it.

As it stands, technology allows up to 20 percent of old asphalt to fused into new asphalt. Currently, there is a lot of research that is taking place to find out what can be done with the remaining 80 percent.

How Are Driveway Millings Made?

The old asphalt is fed into a massive machine that grinds it up into a smaller and thinner composition.

Best Use For Driveway Millings

Driveway millings should really be thought of as a gravel replacement. Being a gravel replacement, the best use for the millings is as a sub-base for your driveway. General speaking, the millings should be used as a support base rather than a surface material.
Driveway Milling grinder

Driveway millings will still have the oily coating from their previous life. This means, especially in summer due to the heat, it is far easier and better at compacting. Compaction is very import a driveway base as it acts as the main support for the rest of the driveway.

Unlike traditional asphalt, driveway millings are applied cold which is great for the average DIYer due to less work. In summer, the millings are way easier to compact as it becomes softer and more malleable.

How Much Does It Cost?

Believe it or not, driveway millings are very cheap. I have managed to find it for about $10 a tonne but it can sometimes run as high as $30 a tonne. There are few other cost involved and to find these out, check this link here.

Companies are usually trying to get rid of this stuff as quickly as possible and as a result, the price is driven down a lot. Usually, if a company is not selling or using the millings themselves, they are having to pay in order to dispose of it. So when you buy the asphalt, you are saving yourself as well as the company money.

The Advantages Of Using Driveway Millings

1. Saved Money 

Using recycled asphalt or driveway millings as a base for your driveway is going to save you a lot of money. For the most part, millings are by far the cheapest option out there. Besides the cost of actually purchasing the millings, the only other thing you need to considered is transport cost.

2. Environmentally Beneficial

I am not going to go as far as to say driveway millings are environmentally friendly because they aren’t. However, reusing something that would normally be thrown away is good for the environment. On top of that, you are not purchasing new resources that need to be dug up and produced.

3. Easy To Use

Installing the driveway millings is just like installing gravel. Since there will still be tar remnants from its previous life, compacting it is way easier. The old tar will act as a glue within the millings making is a more solid and compacted structure.

4. Weather Resistant 

If you do decide to use the millings as a surface rather than a base, it will have most of the weather resistant properties a regular asphalt surface will have. Snow will have a more difficulty sticking to the driveway as will ice. De-icing your driveway may still be a factor if you get that notorious black ice forming on the surface.

5. Life Span

The life span of the driveway millings will be pretty much the same as normal asphalt. The only factors that would change that would be improper preparation and laying.

The one disadvantage of using driveway millings is the potential for discolouration. Being recycled, you are going to have a lot of asphalt that has come from a lot of different places. When all this is mixed together, the colour will change and you won’t get that nice new asphalt driveway look. However, this is only the case if you use the millings as a surface rather than a base.

Leave a Comment